Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Post subject: Re: The Song of Ice and Fire
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

Watched the show's finale and immediately bought all of the books. I'm about a fifth of the way through A Clash of Kings. Pretty cool so far, though nothing awesome's happened yet.

Despair wrote:
I heard there was an epic butthurt in America after Ned got killed off :lol: .

Nice spoiler, jackass. Glad I've already seen it. Although this video is kind of awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:10 pm 
Newcomer

Despair wrote:
I heard there was an epic butthurt in America after Ned got killed off :lol: .

Ha, probably. Americans aren't much for reading, it seems. Luckily I had already been spoiled on that one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:57 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

I really liked the tv show overall, but i think they kind of overdid the sex scenes. Especially the Loras-Renly scene was horribly overdone... in the books their romance was only hinted and in the show they went all out (including the blowjob sounds). Another thing that I felt was missing was all the hints to the secret promise Ned made to Lyanna. But this isn't the place to discuss the whole Rhaegar-Lyanna thing ;) maybe in another thread, if someone else is interested in that particular topic.

Also, some of you might have heard of it, Amazon Germany made a mistake and sent out about 180 copies of "A Dance With Dragons" over 2 weeks early. And i was one of the lucky few!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:04 am 
Initiate of Imoen

I really, really enjoyed the show. Much more than I thought I would. It was lovingly crafted, if nothing else.

Quote:
I really liked the tv show overall, but i think they kind of overdid the sex scenes. Especially the Loras-Renly scene was horribly overdone... in the books their romance was only hinted and in the show they went all out (including the blowjob sounds). Another thing that I felt was missing was all the hints to the secret promise Ned made to Lyanna. But this isn't the place to discuss the whole Rhaegar-Lyanna thing maybe in another thread, if someone else is interested in that particular topic.

I think the sex was generally overdone, but I liked they Loras-Renly scene. Maybe not the sounds, but Martin himself admitted that the format of the show - without the POV - was somewhat liberating. It's nice not to have restrictions, and let some of the smaller characters get their turn in the spotlight. And it was interesting seeing what [SPOILER] motivated Renly to seek out the crown. Also, I like gay characters in shows which, on the surface, are for men, written by men, so maybe I'm biased towards that scene :P I also enjoyed seeing the ever-so elusive PENIS on TV. So rare, it's still quite novel. What DID strike me as overdone was the scene with Littlefinger and the whore audition.

What did you think of the acting? I thought it was superb, especially the children, who typically make me want to jab whatever's closest in my eye and smush is around a little.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: QUASI-SPOILER ALERT? (pays to be cautious)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:06 pm 
Newcomer

started reading just after book 4 came out; sniffed around at the winter-is-coming site for the last six months or so leading up to the HBO premiere. very impressed with the adaptation; there are veiled warnings of eventual divergence from canon, but maybe we should be more worried about whether GRRM will a) live long enough to finish book 6 and 7; b) stay ahead of the HBO schedule ;) glad that they had him write the battle of the blackwater (again), anyway.

but while most of the series is eminently enjoyable, this 'masterpiece' business is way, way, way overblown. frankly, i'm a bit disappointed with the excessively redundant re-exposition of book 5, and GRRM's powers of description are sometimes rather stale (there are only so many times i can see 'boiled leather', 'lobstered steel' and 'closed his hand into a fist' in a single book before they start standing out like sore extraneous thumbs). but i remain hungry for the Arya, Bran, Davos & Tyrion POVs in particular (and anything in Oldtown!)... as well as a hard-learned refusal to make any assumptions about Jon's fate. (whereas even though i have appreciated Jaime's character development, i could probably accept that as we last left him, he is well and truly screwed...)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 am 
Newcomer

Crazee wrote:
I thought it was superb, especially the children, who typically make me want to jab whatever's closest in my eye and smush is around a little.

agreed. arya and bran in particular were excellently cast and scripted. and it's more than understandable that they boosted all the younger generation's ages by ~2. grrm even went on the record regretting having set them so young the first time around (which, frankly, does make some of arya's exploits quite incredible in the books... though no less compelling :) )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am 
Priest(ess) of the Pink Mage

So... to qualify my dislike for the series I have now started reading it. :D

I'm some 300 pages into Clash of Kings and... huh.

It's up till now a really hard thing to comment on. So just a few thoughts:

*The overlapping plot does not seem to move. We have now reached apx. 1300 pages, the length of a small series, and the actual game changing stuff has been small and has largely happened in the last 200 pages of Game O' Thrones. That doesn't mean there isn't anything going on.

*There seems too much going on. That's just my own taste, mind. There are so many details, side stories and seemingly random events that are hard to view in the big picture, because... well the picture is just this big.

*The general writing still is beyond question. Martin can write quite excellently.

*The sex scenes are the least erotic thing this side of fan fiction. Again, this is my taste, but I find every.single.one of them revolting. I probably should think that of several of the borderline and actual rapes (though there is considerably less rape going on than in Sword o' truth), but even when it's between supposedly loving partners I find it deeply disturbing. The mutterings of a creepy old man.

*1/3 of the characters I do not like at all. But I console myself with the fact that in this series they may die any moment, unless they are Jon Snow.

So.. only several thousand pages to go.

I can't really say I'm thrilled to learn more since we've spend so much time already doing fuck all.. but it sure kills the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 am 
Initiate of Imoen

I've read the first book, enjoyed it immensely. However I think the books can not llive up to the hype. They are good fantasy, but it's just that. Fantasy, swords, kings and thrones.

To me, good fantasy is stories which open up an entirely new genre of fantasy, a new idea. For example Bartimaeus-Trilogy, the Lightbringer-Series (it's no series yet but more books to follow) or the Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuß. The last one I would actually label as the best fantasy novels I've read in the past 5 years with only few novels in all time to live up to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:38 am 
Priest(ess) of the Pink Mage

My favorite of the last years is still The Lies of Locke Lamora.

But that can't be compared to I&F because it has nothing in common except the "fantasy" label.

Yes, so far in conclusion: I&F is good. It's not my favourite type of fantasy though.

Offline Profile