Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Dragon Age: Origins
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

What does everyone think of DA:O, if you've had the chance to play it? It's been constantly advertised as the spiritual successor of the Baldur's Gate series, but has it met your expectations?

I actually really enjoyed it. Was it BG? It most certainly wasn't. Was it enjoyable? Immensely. The story was fun, the characters were deep and complex, the lore was interesting and it allowed me to roleplay a character in a way that no other game has. I thought way more about the characterisation of my Grey Warden than I ever did with any of the Bhaalspawn I've created.

Bearing in my mind I'm not much of a hardcore gamer, even I thought that the combat was a little ... bland. There were no truly memorable encounters, like there was in Baldur's Gate. But seeing as I don't really mind either way, this didn't tarnish my enjoyment of it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:10 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

Its as close as we're ever going to get to another real Baldur's Gate sequel. And its pretty damn close.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:36 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

MechaEspio wrote:
Its as close as we're ever going to get to another real Baldur's Gate sequel. And its pretty damn close.

That's pretty much what I thought. It even improves on some areas, so I'm not complaining. I really like the Origin part of the game, for instance, and the banter between the party members is wonderful.

On another note, I would have loved the game anyway, if only because it provides homosexual romances for both males and females. I wish every other game company would start taking notes. Bioware, just hurry up and MARRY ME ALREADY!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:44 pm 
Grand Poobah

It won't work on my comp.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:55 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Despair wrote:
It won't work on my comp.

Argh, that's a shame. But from what I've seen of your tastes in games, I'm not sure you'd be as happy with it as I am. I've got a truly terrible computer, and it works quite nicely on lowest settings for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 pm 
Grand Poobah

I bought my computer in a post-leasing store. It costed me 70$.
It's Celeron 2,40 1024mb Ram, GeForce4 MX 4000 (I cannibalised 256mb RAM and a Soundblaster Live from my old . I'm very satisfied with this buy - it saved me a lot of money.
My Win98 has refused to cooperate with its netcard, so I installed Linux Mint on it.
One thing that sucks is that demos of Geneforge games don't work properly on Wine. I heard they are pretty good cRPGs with a lot of C&C.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:49 pm 
Junior Acolyte

It's good. I didn't finish it in 4 hours like most games of today, and when i did i played through it again. Best thing about it are the npcs, they add so much to it, especially Alistair.

Only thing i dislike is having to pay for downloadable content that should have been in the game in the first place, like the golem npc... starting to see too many companies using this cut-content tactic to squeeze more money out of customers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm 
Forum God

I got it for Christmas, but I haven't played it yet. I've placed a ban on myself from playing any new games until I finish Crumbling Down (two chapters left, but no time while I'm teaching -- fricking hard job). After Crumbling Down, I may extend my ban until I finish either the Imoen mod or my original novel, depending on if I'm employed or not.

I've heard good things about it from most people, but I've also heard that ME2 might be better. But don't spoil me too much :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

Tyrell wrote:
It's good. I didn't finish it in 4 hours like most games of today, and when i did i played through it again. Best thing about it are the npcs, they add so much to it, especially Alistair.

Only thing i dislike is having to pay for downloadable content that should have been in the game in the first place, like the golem npc... starting to see too many companies using this cut-content tactic to squeeze more money out of customers.

Two things:
1: You don't have to pay for it. If you bought the game new (my own ethics would say you should have as otherwise the developers see none of your money) then it comes with a code so you can download most of the DLC for free.
2: The game was officially done and then delayed for 6 months for holiday release. So they decided to work on more content. However, they couldn't get it done in time for it to go on the disc so they made it DLC instead.

Compare to Ubisoft's system from Assassin's Creed 2 of removing sections of the game to sell later (no evidence to say for certain that's what happened but it seems the most likely scenario). I'd say the Bioware method is the lesser of two evils (and the extent of evil is questionable since getting you to buy the game new means the developer makes more well-deserved money and getting you to pay for the content if you go the cheap route does the same thing).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:07 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

DaO is quite good, has its drawbacks though. Too high dual wield dps, too low two hander and so on...

Fluff wise prety slick game though, im personally opting for a raid on a Black City itself ! Burn all, KILL, MAIM, BURN !!! even if there are only week deamons inside...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next