Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:47 am

Post subject: RP playthrough
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:55 am 
Initiate of Imoen

So I've been thinking an awful lot about going all out when playing through the game once the new mod version gets released by the one and only Miss Dale. I get a lot of "autopilot" time at work when I can dream up all sorts of things on all sorts of topics, it's pretty neat.

Anyway, the plan is to do one of them sort-of-hardcore runs where every decision and fight counts. I try not to be too cheesy in general, but I've never done an actual Serious Business run like that. Tentative rules are as follows!

- Reloading for any reason other than End of Session or Player Death / Imoen getting chunked is forbidden.
- Resting will be done at normal day/night cycles when possible. No resting 8 hours because oops, the contingency triggered and I want a new one or any silly stuff like that.
- Reliance on meta-knowledge will be avoided as much as possible. I can't forget what comes next in the game, obviously, but you gotta try to stay in the character's point of view.
- If party NPCs die, only other characters with 15 str or more will be able to carry them. Like, say, Aerie and Imoen get killed in one fight. If there is only one other character in the party with 15 str or more, well, sorry Aerie, but your dead body will feed the rats. Those 15 str characters will need to clear their inventory of big cumbersome stuff while traveling, sticking with common sense. Magical bags of holding are gonna be a must, probably.
- Resting within dungeons will be done only in highly defensible positions.
- Of course, all responses will adhere to the PC's personality and presumed state of mind, with a little old modder-enabled twist: if the responses are infuriatingly limited to the point that I can't bear to choose any of them, I'm going into the files and adding it in. If only to tell that damn djinni in Irenicus' Dungeon that his question is messed up and I refuse to answer it, and it can turn hostile for all I care. I probably won't stick to this one much though, since it might turn into too much work to bother.
- Stats will be rerolled until I get 82 points to distribute, no more, no less. It should account for all the stat boosts in BG1 minus the torture and starvation and all the jazz at Irenicus' hand.

That about covers it I think. I'm open to suggestions.

Of course, an interesting character is needed!

______

Falon of Candlekeep is a somewhat devout follower of Helm. The themes of protecting those she cares about and staying ever vigilant appeal to her. However, she has trouble on the "enforcing the law" department. It's not that she spurns the law; it simply gets in the way sometimes.

Because Falon is all about getting the job done, one way or another. You have to be determined when life throws such a crazy amount of crap at your face, you see? Maybe a little ruthless, when it's necessary and justified. She's ambivalent when it comes to good and evil -- she'll help if it doesn't involve going too far out of the way, but it's more a matter of what needs to happen for her goals to be achieved.

What are her goals? Why, staying alive for one, as well as staying sane. It's more challenging than it sounds. Avenging the fallen is also important, and Sarevok got to know that much personally. Keeping Imoen out of harm's way, most important of all. Where would she be, without her life-long friend? Dead in a ditch somewhere, that's where. The same goes for Khalid and Jaheira, and Minsc possibly. Not Dynaheir, she was a bit of a bitch. But Imoen most of all. Imoen left her easy life in Candlekeep to help in times of need. She was there to comfort her when Gorion died, and stuck around through the worst time in Falon's life. She owed Imoen more than she could possibly say, and keeping her safe was the least Falon could do.

She hasn't been all that successful at that lately, though. And it gnaws at her, like a worm wiggling in her insides, eating at her heart and at her faith as Imoen's sobs pierce the blackness of the unknown dungeon she has found herself in. As time passes and the pain only gets worse, Falon can't help but think that The Watcher has failed her.

What does a cleric do when faith falters?

Then the attack comes, and in the midst of chaos and destruction, Imoen's face emerges from the darkness. She's so haggard and emaciated, and there's a feverish shine to her eyes that wasn't there before. It brings a lump to Falon's throat and a promise of retribution to her lips.

The Vigilant One has some explaining to do.
______

If her picture looks awfully familiar, it's because I edited it from a certain heroine from a certain game.

The plan is to have her dual to thief when Imoen is taken away. Her faith goes away with Imoen, you see. She's desperate and turns to the Shadow Thieves to get things done. She'll do anything to get her back, no matter who falls, no matter who suffers.

From a gameplay standpoint, I've never played Cleric / Thief and it might be interesting. It's a rather uncommon class combination, I would gather.

Falon is a very neat person, and is a little OCD about keeping a journal. Imoen calls it "the ritual," when Falon meditates and prays while Imoen memorizes her spells. Then Imoen falls asleep to the sound of Falon's quick, precise handwriting on her journal. Every night. Every single night without fail. Until they get captured, that is.

And that's that! How about you? Any fun, super nerdy plans?

Last edited by Mirrabbo on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: RP playthrough
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:24 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

I love playthroughs like this. I routinely go above and beyond with my imagination. For instance, when doing the slaver quest, two of my characters will pose as nobles, observing the gladiator fight, while the rest infiltrate the base of operations. Not only does that put me at a disadvantage in terms of fighting, but I'll often use the cheat console to change my characters' appearance so they have the right sprites and make them take off all their armour and weapons (apart from a dagger maybe, which could be hidden up a sleeve). I love doing stuff like that.

And now you're making me feel like I should prepare a richly complex character! Hmm. Loving the sound of Falon, btw. Hope you enjoy your playthrough when you get around to it, O Lord of the Pink!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 am 
Initiate of Imoen

Thanks! Although Falon won't have romantic feelings to begin with, the dedication to Imoen and the emphasis on the journal (which would be fun to write out and post when the time comes, I think) is inspired in no small amount by Taig's Crumbling Down. Cassandra and her journal were two of the things I liked best in there.

I'm curious to find out how far other players here have taken the whole roleplaying angle in the Baldur's Gate series. There's something fascinating about stories like Lilly Black, although I can't say I find myself capable of sitting through every single hour of video in there!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:13 pm 
Forum God

Sounds awesome to me :) And the beginnings of a good story ;) (No, I'm not writing it!)

Hopefully I'll be able to get you started on it sooner rather than later.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:02 am 
Initiate of Imoen

TCDale wrote:
Sounds awesome to me :) And the beginnings of a good story ;) (No, I'm not writing it!)

Aw, but I thought that was our thing now, where I take on a long, overambitious project, get burnt out, and then you sweep in to fix it all up! What a bummer.

I'm actually disproportionately excited to have fun with this, though. So I'll throw a few FAQs at you!
1) Will there be any content at all in the starter dungeon? I recall you saying that there wouldn't be.
2) Should I expect weird dreams with Imoen of a personal nature while struggling to get to Spellhold? I'm pretty sure you confirmed this one. I think it qualifies now as a Frequently Asked Question, hoo hoo!

If it's No and Yes, I might just get started and stop once I get the second Irenicus dream. Lots of gameplay to work with there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:40 pm 
Forum God

Mirrabbo wrote:
1) Will there be any content at all in the starter dungeon? I recall you saying that there wouldn't be.

2) Should I expect weird dreams with Imoen of a personal nature while struggling to get to Spellhold? I'm pretty sure you confirmed this one. I think it qualifies now as a Frequently Asked Question, hoo hoo!

#1 -- Nope. I'm eliminating it so that people don't HAVE to play through Chateau Irenicus for the zillionth time just to catch a few pieces of dialog. All mod content will come after you escape from Jon's lair.

#2 -- Yes, you should! The dream content hasn't changed (other than some dialog being tweaked, but the subject matter is the same).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:26 pm 
Forum God

Awww you lost Minsc already? :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:57 am 
Initiate of Imoen

I ran across the thug at the Copper Coronet, and thought that I'd avoided fighting with my responses. I had no idea that Minsc would then proceed to yell a battlecry and go and attack him. Then I thought, ah, well, it makes sense that he would do that. I'll just let him deal with it, I bet it won't take long.

Then he got pummeled to near death in about two seconds, and Yoshimo went in to help. Minsc died, then Yoshimo got chunked. Since RP-wise Falon was just standing around being useless, Yaheira was left to clean up the mess. She barely survived after killing the man and his lackeys, with a lot of truly pitiful kiting.

It was actually quite funny! I really had forgotten that the thug was no pushover.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:31 pm 
Newcomer

Howdy, fresh meat here.

Some really well-done journal entries there i have to say, they convey the horrible situation your PC is in well.

I hope you will be keeping Jan, he is my favourite NPC by far (with the one exception of Imoen, of course.)
Also, with Minsc gone, he could take care of Boo, no? :D.

I am starting a new full-rp-runthrough soon as well, with my PC being a Neutral Good Human Blade (always wanted to try a bard for once.)
However, i am starting at Bg1 (whenever i try to do an RP run, i just HAVE to start at bg1, else it doesn't feel right to me)

Probably won't be posting my journal entries though (for obvious lack of the writing skills).

Keepeth thou it up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:14 am 
Initiate of Imoen

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!

I'm trying to keep them a bit rambling and disjointed, with bits forgotten or left out like an actual journal would be. A sequential account of everything that happens would be a bit of a stretch for somebody to remember at the end of a hectic day. Still, she jots down most of everything. Falon is rather verbose, I don't know if you've noticed -- good thing she writes fast.

It'd still be cool if you post about it when you start it. Your plans are bound to go horribly wrong and that's where the fun is at in this kind of runs. Let us know all about it!

Offline Profile