Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:32 am

Post subject: JibJabba's Full Bhaalspawn saga IR let's play.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:33 pm 
Newcomer

Welcome, (yes..... welcome!) to this playthrough of b1,totsc,bg2 and throne of Bhaal.

First off, be warned that this will be about as geeky as it can get 8-).

The walktrough will be split into 2 obvious parts with different rules: Baldur's gate 1+ totsc and Bg2+ Throne of Bhaal.
It will be sort-of-rp in a way that I will refrain from reloading a lot and making illogical desicions, unless i think the state of mind the PC currently is in justifies illogical behavior.
I may also post some major journal entries i might or might not write during the game.

I will be playing Baldur's Gate 2 with the trademark mod from this website, (hopefully the new version) and i intend to see it trough.

The game will be played with a set of rules that regulate my PC's behavior.

Groundrules for Jib's full playthrough of the Baldur's Gate saga :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baldur's gate 1 + Tales of the Sword Coast part of the deal :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. No reloading unless a canon survivor of Baldur's Gate 1 irreversably bites the dust. I may leave them dead, but not chunked or disintegrated.
With canon i also mean all the NPC's that make cameo appearances, like Xzar.
I will also reload when I somehow damage the space-time continuum and the game bugs out.

2. No grossly illogical, sixth sense stuff. Obviously this is unavoidable to some degree, but I mean something like :
''hmm, i've got a feeling that I can find an +2 scimitar easily in chapter 2 if I combine a scroll of protection from petrification and two potions of invisibility''
I will be pretty shameless about looting all the containers in the game though (hey, the two most important party members are partly thieves after all, and i will need the money because i will play with the ''hard times'' mod)

3. Imoen will be the only permanent party member, and i may never kick her out of the party for whatever reason. The rest of the party i may juggle around as i see fit.
However, i must complete at least 1 of the main quest line locations with Minsc and Dynaheir, and Khalid and Jaheira.

4. I may use the Shadowkeeper to change proficiencies, kits and/or skill points around in a legal and logical way once upon picking up a new party member (no stats though.) I will do this once again when I start baldur's gate 2, to make the NPC's identical to the ones I had in bg1.

Example : upon picking up Imoen, i will change her thieving skill points to hide in shadows or pick pockets and set traps, and will change her proficiency in daggers to short bows. Also she will be given the swashbuckler kit for the 2** short bows, the better melee thaco, and the -ac (the swashbuckler fits her character better anyway then a vanilla thief IMO)

I will avoid overpowering fighter class characters (rangers,paladins etc.) too soon by optimizing their profciencies in a way the game would not. For example, I would give Khalid bastard swords **, sword and shield style * and slings * instead of bastard swords ****.

5. If mods suchs as the NPC-project come in the way of how the protagonist thinks about an NPC, (like the romances advancing too far without an opportunity to let them off in an appropriate way) I will use the Shadokeeper to terminate them (the variables that is, not the NPC :P.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mods Installed, Baldurs gate 1 + tales of the sword coast
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easytutu
Easytutu Hotfixes

Bg1 NPC project
Level 1 NPC's
NPC Kits
Finch NPC

Ashes of Embers
Degreenifier
Drizzt Is Not Stupid
Hard Times
Sword coast Stratagems (only a few options installed)
Lost Items

Mini-quest's and encounters
Rogue Rebalancing
song_and_silence
Spawn Randomizer

I will not list the mods i will be using for bg2 yet, simply because i am not sure wich ones to use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our protagonist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted the protagonist to have a relatively common name, to serve as a contrast to his very uncommon predicament (and nope, his name doesn't resemble mine in the slightest ;) )

Meet Horward of Candlekeep, the human blade bard.
I opted for the blade kit, because i have never played a bard before, and the blade seemed like a fun compromiss between bard and fighter/mage, with less raw power, but more fun/utility (especially with rogue rebalancing installed)
I liked this portait because it shows a flashy kind of character, holding a scimitar (horward will be using mainly scimitars), not wearing heavy armor. Obviously it's not perfect, but it will do.

I went the powergaming route on the stats of Horward, reason being that he will need all the stats he can get as a bard.
So after about 10 minutes of rerolling, this sick roll came along :

A bit of adjusting resulted in these stats :

And, yes, I shamefully admit that I took into acount the tomes in bg1 when spreading the stats out like this (most, but not all of them will go to Horward)

The final stats of horward (rr gives you two weapon fighting *** with blades) :

So, what kind of character is Horward?
A good question, most of his character will be filled in by the choices he makes during the game and his journal entries. Generally consider him a snarky, with a healthy dose of ego but good natured guy, who will go out of his way to find the best solution to a problem. He isn't overly concerned with the law, or people who give him an hard time.

He sees the need to do good, but will answer threats and agressive behaviour in kind.
Horward is relatively quick to trust someone, but nothing makes him more angry then betrayal of that trust.
He is not overly judgemental, and this is reflected by his willingness to have people with questionable morals travel with him, as long as they are useful and don't make too much of a show of themselves.
His biggest weak spot? Imoen, his lack of experience, and his quick-to-trust nature.

Exactly what has Horward been doing those 20 years in Candlekeep?
(this image is rather crudely pasted together, forgive me if your eyes start to bleed) :

The let's play

This Let's play will consist of screenshots, most of them edited. If you think that there is too much sillyness involved, or too much/too little information from the screenshots I post, please let me know.

I'm always open to suggestions (what? chliché? me?.. naaah), so if you want me to do something, or pick up a certain NPC, or just want to murder me, voice it.

Almost all the editing I use will be simple cut&paste's from the screenshots i made during a session, intended to make things more fun to read.

So, nothing left to do but to actually start, eh?

Part 1, Candlekeep.

With mixed feelings, Horward counts the gold coins in his purse, probably not even enough to get him a single scimitar, let alone whatever other provisions he might need.

On his way to check the inventory of the innkeeper Winthrop, Horward gets intercepted by a lady with a pale face.

An interesting story, one that Horward will investigate if he has the time to spare. But first, Horward decides to check Winthrop's prices, to get an idea of the amount of gold he will need for his traveling gear.

As suspected, the amount of gold Horward will need is around 400 gold coins, and so he decides to take a look upstairs to see if there are any valuables he can ''borrow''.

After trying his hand on some of the more sturdier locks, and failing to break them open, Horward acidentally draws the attention of one of the inn's customers, who seemed not to have noticed his attempts to steal his valuables.

Deciding he still has some time to spare, Horward looks around the keep to see if there are any errands he can run. He quickly returns a lost book to its owner, and checks out the quarters of the keep's inhabitants.
Little did he know that a nasty surprise was waiting for him.

Underestimating Horward's skill, the asassin jumps at him but gets intercepted by a sharp blow to the head with a quarterstaff.

After a quick scribble in his journal, Horward rummages through the containers, and finds some healing potions and a weapon known as a
ninja-to, wich will come in handily. (these items like the ninja-to are added by the lost item mod)

On his way to check if Reevor had anything to do for him, Horward gets intercepted by Erik and Jondalar, who were sent by Gorion to spar with him.

A minor injury later, the two decide that he is skilled enough and leave him in peace.

Finding who he was looking for, Horward quickly regrets his descision, as he forgot that Reevor left him a Task the day before.

(sorry i couldn't resist)

Against all odds, Horward came out victorious and this earned him a grand total of 5 gold coins from Reevor.

Remembering the story of Linda, Horward pays a visit to Sir Trun, and while he is at it, he pilfers a healing potion from a locked drawer.

A little while later, Horward is approached by Linda, who wanted to thank him for the words he traded with Sir Trun.

After that little story came to a good conclusion, Horward continues in his search of errands and valuables, and stumbles upon another asassin.

Horward quickly disarmed the situation by cutting the asassin deeply through the chest, but not before suffering a dagger wound along his right arm.
''How did these two jokers even get through the guards, and who wants me dead and why?''

Dropping by the guardhouse, Horward runs into Fuller, who obviously had a bit too much to drink the night before.
Fuller indeed has an errand for him, and he runs back to the inn to get some bolts.

Upon returning, Horward notices that the guard is not as perceptive as he usually is, and subtly snatches a shining dagger from his belt.
''Serves the drunken grump well.''
(rogue rebalancing allows you to make excuses based on your stats if you fail a pickpocket 1 or 2 times, but i actually got it on the first try)

Knowing that Gorion's patience would soon run out, Horward decides to stop his errand-running and go look for Imoen, to tell her of his Father's plans.

After rounding the keep once, he runs into a gnomish lass he met before around the bookshelves.

During his conversation with Finch, Horward spots a familiar face near the entrance of the library.

Though he does not like it, Horward knows that leaving Imoen in Candlekeep will be safer then her traveling with him. Especially since someone seemed eager to have his head on a platter. He makes a mental note to snatch her up later, after the danger has passed though.

Having done what he could to get some extra coins, Horward heads to the Inn one more time to spend his hard earned gold.

After equipping himself thoroughly, Horward goes to look for his foster father, and finds him near the keep's gates.

To be continued..

Last edited by JibJabba on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: JibJabba's Full Bhaalspawn saga IR let's play.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:02 pm 
Forum God

Why are you decreasing Imoen's wisdom and increasing her strength? You give a reason for your changes to her kit and stuff, but not for that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:35 pm 
Newcomer

Oops, i was planning to do that at first, because a mod i have installed alters the strength requirements on some of the weapon classes.

I deinstalled it however, and just forgot to take that particular remark out of the LP.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Whoa, that's super-thorough. Must have taken quite a bit of effort to put all the edited screenshots together.

Looking pretty sweet, although I think the Garfield bit broke the silly threshold, heh.

I guess the whole "warrior-noblegirl" arc is part of the mini-quests mod, as well as all the portraits?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:45 pm 
Newcomer

Yeah I thought the Garfield thing might be pushing it, there won't be a lot of those at all though.

The portraits for NPC's are a part of the bg1 NPC project i think, and yes the noblegirl thing is from the miniquest mod, it adds around 7 minor quest's to the game.

Reading through it again i notice i use the name ''Horward'' way too much among other things. I will try to improve my writing as I continue this thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:17 am 
Newcomer

Haha, this is actually quite amusing, keep it up

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:19 pm 
Newcomer

Soggy wrote:
Haha, this is actually quite amusing, keep it up

Thanks, next update will be a pretty big one, (sets up the story and what not)
So i will have it finished around tomorrow.

Offline Profile