Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Post subject: Crumbling Down
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 pm 
Forum God

For those of you who are long-time veterans of the Imoen Romance, you may remember Crumbling Down.

Crumbling Down was a fan-novelization of the Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn story, based upon the Imoen Romance modification. It was also the only fan novelization to get Lord M's fabulous seal of approval (or something like that).

Well, Crumbling Down is still out there. I've transferred it to my new name (T.C. Dale...I've stopped using Jashan for serious writing) and expanded it. It's been updating regularly every week for the last year, and is now (as of 22 January 2009) on Chapter 16. The expected big conclusion is Chapter 18, so we're almost done!

If you're interested in reading, here's some teaser:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, I dream. Irenicus, again, telling me of the death in my blood with which I am already too familiar. “Follow,” he said, and I would receive the gifts of my heritage. And then Imoen was there, standing gagged and bound by his side by ropes of lightning-like magic. They constricted around her, scorching her flesh and slicing into muscle. She whimpered behind the gags and looked at me with such terror.

“Follow,” he said. “If only to protect the weak who fell because of you.”

In the Time of Troubles, the gods walked the earth in mortal form -- among them Bhaal, the Lord of Murder. To escape the death which he foresaw, he sired mortal progeny: half-divine children, doomed to be slowly driven mad by the Taint inside them.

Cassandra is one such child. Hunted by the holy as an abomination and by the evil as a threat, she trusts only one person: her adopted sister, Imoen. Raised together in isolation and sharing an extraordinary friendship, they are inseparable. They would die for each other. They would kill for each other.

And then came Irenicus. A cold, calculating mage with a hidden agenda, he performs 'experiments' designed to break body, mind, and soul. When he kidnaps Imoen, Cassie is faced with her worst nightmare. She would die for Imoen; even kill for her. But how far will she go to save her?

-------------------------------------------------

Crumbling Down can be read at http://www.tcdale.com/tcdale/long-stories/crumbling-down.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Crumbling Down
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:13 pm 
Forum God

Crumbling Down, Chapter 16 ("Suldanessellar"), part 2 has been posted! For those of you who have already read part 1, the second part begins on page 14.

Rating/Warnings: This chapter: rated R. Whole story: Rated R. Contains sex, boys and girls, so only click if you're an adult.

Summary: Cassandra and Imoen arrive in Suldanessellar, only to find that the elven city is not the idyllic paradise it once was. The aftermath of Irenicus' attack on the city brings back painful memories for Imoen.

Notes:
I'm posting part 2 early (normally I update on Mondays) because next week is going to be Hell for me.

If you want to read Crumbling Down from the beginning, you can start here.

Excerpt:
"Imoen?"

Silence. Cassandra continued down the hall. The lights here had been extinguished; her vision shifted to greyscale as the darkness enveloped her. A small sound caught her ears from somewhere ahead: the soft rustle of cloth against stone.

"Imoen?"

The rustle stopped, but not before Cassandra had found the source. A small open archway led into a small rectangular storage room. It was empty save for a few bags of flour and potatoes stacked against one wall. At the far end, huddled into a corner and with her knees drawn up to her chest, sat Imoen's familiar robed form.

"Im?"

The mage nodded shakily but didn't look up. One slim arm rose to wipe her eyes. "Yeah. Here."

"You okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah. I just—" Her voice quivered with barely contained emotion. She drew her legs tighter to her and let out a trembling sigh. "Sorry. I'm sorry."

Cassandra approached slowly, kneeling down next to her sibling and gently raising her chin. The playful grey eyes were now filled with tears, and Imoen's chest rose and fell unevenly with unseen sobs.

"Hey..." Cassie pulled Imoen into her arms. "There's nothing to be sorry about. Nothing at all."

"I just—just that room, that woman—" Imoen buried her face against Cassandra's shoulder, drawing in long, ragged breaths to try and quell the tears. "And that little girl... Suddenly I was back in that cage and I could just see him, y'know? I could see him and the knives and…and…"

"Sssh." Cassie pressed her lips to Imoen's forehead and rocked her gently in her arms. The mage's small frame had begun to shiver with a mixture of fear and despair. "It's okay. He's not here; he'll never touch you again. I swear it."

The tears were flowing freely now, soaking through the cotton of Cassandra's tunic and staining her skin with hot, bitter saline. "I don't know if I can do this, Cass," Imoen whimpered. "If—If I see him... if I really see him... I can't do this. I can't."

"Yes you can. You're strong, Im. You're stronger than anyone I know."
====================

Crumbling Down, Chapter 16, part 2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

I just finished reading the first few chapters and i just had to tell you... i really really like your writing! Also, i think you describe Imoen just as i used to imagine her ;)
so, thats already it again, just wanted to give you some feedback from my side ;D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm 
Forum God

For those who keep up with Crumbling Down -- as you've noticed, Ch 17 has been delayed because my work schedule is killing me. However, the first half of Ch 17 is almost done and should definitely be up on Monday. It also looks suspiciously like Ch 17 will be the end (and Ch 18 thus the epilog).

So... sorry for the delay, but stay tuned!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:24 pm 
Forum God

Crumbling Down Ch 17 ("Facing Demons") has ben posted! Or, at least the first half has been.

This begins the final showdown with Irenicus... and the fate of not only Cassie and Imoen, but of Suldanessellar itself.

Next week is school vacation, so I don't have to teach. That should give me time to get the next installment ready before Monday, Feb 22

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:43 pm 
Forum God

Okay, boys and girls.... this is it.

The last official installment of Crumbling Down.

(ahem. other than the epilogue, which will be coming next Monday, the 22nd of February)

So, yes, Crumbling Down Chapter 17 is now complete. For those of you who have already read the first part, part 2 begins on page 13.

This marks the end of the battle for Suldanessellar -- and for Cassie's soul. It doesn't turn out quite she expected.

Offline Profile