Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Post subject: Beta Testers for my Imoen-related text adventure wanted!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:21 pm 
Newcomer

I'm working on a long-term project one part of which involves a prequel to Baldur's Gate, in a rather sophistocated style, so I'm looking for testers to read (it's text-only at the moment) the first part of the epic saga I'm planning, the Lord M mod IS a partial source of my work so this might be very interesting for people who played the mod

the genre is epic psychological drama, it's around 10 000 words involving branches (interactive story where you can make moral choices just like in BG), my aims are complexity and epicness on extreme scales :)

this is NOT FAN FICTION (can't stress that enough), it's but a part of a larger story

since this is a closed beta, I will only send the text to people who are actually willing to read the text at least twice (which isn't enough to get all that can be understood just with this text), and give me like 10 lines on what they thought about it, help would be VERY APPRECIATED!!! :|

good knowledge of the English language is practically required, knowledge of BG and the romance mod... well on this forum that shouldn't be a problem :mrgreen:

as an incentive, the first person to help me in the way I specified gets a FREE freebie that is related to the project (sent free of charge that is)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Beta Testers for my Imoen-related text adventure wanted!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 pm 
XTREME METAL ROCKER PUNK CHICK WITH ULTRA SURFBOARD

Might I ask why it doesn't qualify as fanfiction if it's related to Baldur's Gate?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:48 am 
Forum God

While I'd love a freebie, I can't take another big project at my plate at the moment. (People would kill me for delaying the mod any longer than necessary!)

I'm more curious as to how you're pulling off the interactive fiction. Is it an actual book, like the old Choose Your Own Adventure stories? ("If you sneak in through the window, turn to page 56...") Or something online? Or something run on a local computer (I once had to write a CYOA in Basic for a computer class)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm 
Newcomer

theacefes wrote:
Might I ask why it doesn't qualify as fanfiction if it's related to Baldur's Gate?

you wouldn't call Schiller or Goethe greek mythology fanfiction would you? not trying to sound pretentious :roll: , just that it's really a quite different thing

anyway, it's part of a much larger project, the BG storyline is adapted in 3 of 5 branches, each of which are individual storylines that are tied together in a certain way, with key similarities, it's quite the ambitious project

I could explain this in detail, but that's really not the purpose of my original post

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:17 pm 
Newcomer

TCDale wrote:
While I'd love a freebie, I can't take another big project at my plate at the moment. (People would kill me for delaying the mod any longer than necessary!)

I'm more curious as to how you're pulling off the interactive fiction. Is it an actual book, like the old Choose Your Own Adventure stories? ("If you sneak in through the window, turn to page 56...") Or something online? Or something run on a local computer (I once had to write a CYOA in Basic for a computer class)?

I wouldn't want to influence you since you're quasi working on a primary source of mine right now :)

there are 2 stages: stage 1 is the "trailer" which I am currently working on and looking for testers - it's only semi-interactive, actually you're quite right with the CYOA thought

stage 2 is the actual game, which is fully interactive fiction written in Inform 7, dunno if you aware of the concept but it's the kind where you can look at things, travel around, use items and the works

btw, if you only play one IF game in your life, make that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photopia ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:08 pm 
Grand Poobah

JC Denton wrote:
theacefes wrote:

you wouldn't call Schiller or Goethe greek mythology fanfiction would you? not trying to sound pretentious :roll: , just that it's really a quite different thing

There are many fanfictions/fanworks that are much better and bigger than the source material.
Fanfiction refers to an unofficial non-commercial use of someone's IP, not to quality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:50 pm 
Newcomer

Despair wrote:
JC Denton wrote:
theacefes wrote:

There are many fanfictions/fanworks that are much better and bigger than the source material.
Fanfiction refers to an unofficial non-commercial use of someone's IP, not to quality.

I gave my argumentation and this is not the point of this topic in any way so I won't comment on that any further

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 am 
Forum God

You may have 'given your argumentation', but you come off sounding rather arrogant and rude -- even if that wasn't your intention. No one is attempting to belittle your work or say that it's somehow less work, or less quality, because it may or may not be fan fiction.

Now, I respect that you don't want to 'derail' your "beta tester" topic, and fortunately Elesias was kind enough to start another thread to continue (or explore) the "what is fan fiction" debate. And, I'll request that any further discussion on the topic goes there (which I'll post myself, here in a little bit).

But, my main point with this post is that you reacted very tersely to what were simple and polite comments that showed *interest* in your work. At best you're being rude. At worst, you're going to make such a bad impression that no one will be interested in you *or* your work, and then you've done yourself more harm than good.

So try to be a bit more civil in the future. This is a nice board of friendly people, and I want to keep it that way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:21 pm 
Newcomer

no, I think people judging something they haven't even read and nitpicking around petty details instead of offering a quantum of help are the arrogant ones, I'm outta here, way to put off interested people, go on like that, it surely will benefit your project! :evil:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm 
Junior Acolyte

Buh-bye

Offline Profile